1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Pinch of ground cloves
¾ cup canned pumpkin
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup dark brown sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
2½ teaspoons vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
4 cups powdered sugar
Makes 12 cupcakes or 24 mini cupcakes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tin with liners and set aside.
2. In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
3. In separate, large bowl, whisk together both sugars, pumpkin, and vegetable oil until smooth and thoroughly combined.
4. Whisk in the eggs one at a time. Slowly fold in flour mixture and mix until combined. Divide the batter evenly between 12 muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees F for 18-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cakes cool on a wire rack. Let them cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting:
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium-high speed until fluffy (about 2-3 minutes).
2. Add cream cheese, salt, and vanilla and continue to beat for an additional 2 minutes. Reduce the speed of the mixer to medium low and add the powdered sugar slowly. Gradually mix slowly while scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Once combined, beat frosting on medium high for 1 additional minute.
Recipe adapted from Brown Eyed Baker’s Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting