1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon table salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature
½ cup sour cream
1 large egg , room temperature
2 large egg yolks , room temperature
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
1 cup (8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2½ cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two muffin tins with cupcake liners. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
2. Using mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy and well combined. Add sour cream, egg, egg yolks, and vanilla and beat well.
3. Slowly add flour mixture into butter mixture and beat until thoroughly combined.
4. Use ice cream scoop to fill muffin tin about 2/3 full. Bake 20-22 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
For the frosting:
1. Using mixer with whisk attachment, whip butter on medium for 5 minutes.
2. Reduce speed and slowly add powdered sugar. Once combined, increase speed and add vanilla. Mix until combined and whip on medium-high for an additional 2 minutes or until fluffy.
3. Spoon frosting into decorating bag, choose decorating tip and pipe onto cupcakes. Sprinkle with sugar flakes or any other decoration you like!
Recipe adapted from Brown Eyed Baker.