2 1/2 cups cake flour (not self- rising)
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon red food color
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
For the frosting:
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 8-ounce package cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
3/4 cup sweetened, flaked coconut
3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffins tins with cupcake liners. Combine cake flour, salt, and cocoa in medium bowl and set aside.
2. In mixer on medium setting, whisk together sugar and oil. Add eggs one at a time and beat until combined. Mix in vanilla and food color.
3. With mixer on low setting, add flour mixture in three batches. Alternate with buttermilk and whisk until both are completely combined. In small bowl, combine vinegar and baking soda. Add vinegar mixture to batter and mix for 20 seconds.
4. Divide batter evenly between 24 muffin cups (about 3/4 full). Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Rotate tins at 10 minutes. Let cupcakes cool on racks before frosting.
5. For the coconut cream cheese frosting, use mixer with paddle attachment. Cream together cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and almond extract. Add powdered sugar until smooth and creamy. Fold in 1/4 cup coconut. Spread frosting onto cooled cupcakes and sprinkle remaining coconut on top.
Makes 24 cupcakes.
Cake recipe adapted from Martha Stewart’s Red Velvet Cupcakes
Frosting recipe adapted from Ina Garten’s Coconut Cupcakes